Sunday, March 8, 2020

Here I Go Again (Another Poem)

An old picture from my first semester at Bethlehem in 2017.



Here I Go Again

Back to these streets, littered with trash
Maybe my decision was fast, too rash
The noise, the rush, the buses and cars
The night with street lights, no stars.

The sirens howl all day and into the dark
Hard to find a decent place to park
People, rushing here and there, are many
Here a nickel, there a lost penny. 

Concrete walls, glass, medal, asphalt
The snow melted by a pile of salt
Turns to moosh and then to water
As the weather rises and gets hotter.

But here I go again racing with the crowd 
Running down the street busy and loud
As twilight closes in and lights twinkle
I hear a trashed chip bag crinkle. 

Over the rushing water of that great river
I watch and wonder as it makes me quiver
A feeling of excitement rushes over me
As I watch the crashing Mississippi.

Sad, lonely, yet surrounded by this crowd
Like I’m lost in a dark thunder cloud
I wonder why I’m here and what for
Isn’t there something else, something more?

And then light bursts through the gray
As it shines on the brick, a brighter day
There’s reason, there’s hope, there’s cheer
For why I came and why I’m here.

I’m here to be that quiet light that shines bright
The one that twinkles in the dark of night
The hand that reaches out to comfort and hold
The ear that sits and listens, quietly bold.

Da, I must be here “for such a time as this”
For He always has a reason for the non-bliss
“And so will I go in” and see what I can do for Him
Though the well is dark and the prospects grim.

The prison may last long and the bars be cold
The smells might linger and the noise get old
But if I see through darkness, I shall shine at last

And the greatest future will be better because of the past.


Also, from my first semester, this was the last time I went to the shore. Sad. I want to go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment