Friday, March 13, 2020

Duluth Inspires Me

Poetry has kind of been flowing through my veins recently. So many things inspire me to write. The most recent inspiration was our random trip to Duluth on Wednesday. It was just me and a couple other friends who up and went to the north. There was still a lot of snow on the ground, but it wasn't too cold. It felt good to be away.

So, that little outing produced this. Not much, but a bit how I feel about the country.

Wind


I walk out into the breeze
The wind on my cheeks
My ears turn red and freeze
I skip past little creeks.


The wind in my face
The taste of the woods
I walk at a faster pace
Away from busy hoods.


I skip, run, and jump
Happy, twinkling, carefree
Past an old tree stump
Buzzing in my heart like a bee.


Then I stop to look and gaze
The scene so still and serene
People-free, a tree-maze
Full of gray and evergreen.


The white of winter snows
The gray of sullen sky 
The wind that brightly blows
The silent birds winging by.


It’s quiet, it’s soft, it’s wild
It’s cool and sharp, alive
Running about like a child
Full of joy, I revive.


And that’s the wind that blows
And fills your lungs with life
Captures you in its joyful throws
Sings like a song, cuts like a knife. 




A picture from my first trip to Duluth back in 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment