Saturday, November 30, 2019

That Old Hickory



I've always been partial to hickory trees. They're beautiful, tall, narly, and strong.

I have a favorite hickory on our property only about 20 feet away from our house. It's one of the tallest trees on our property, stretching probably about 80 feet high. It has crooked branches sticking out in every direction. Little bumps cover it where old branches grew and then died because of want for sun. Many a woodpecker has pecked for bugs along its craggly bark, and squirrels scamper over its straggly branches. It sheds piles of nuts every year.

It stretches its strong neck high into the sky looking brave and alert. Its many branches silhouette against the winter sky and then turn into a soft green in spring's garments. In the summer it dawns those full,thick, dark green leaves like an overgrown bush in the sky. In the fall when it's bushy head turns golden yellow, it lights aflame in the late evening sun.

Every season looks good on that old hickory, but I think that fall might be my favorite. It reminds me of the burning bush that Moses witnessed. Some day I want to climb high up into those mighty arms and look out far over the countryside, but so far I haven't had the bravery. One day....




That is the saga of my hickory. You can see it if you come for a visit. Haha!

2 comments: