Sunday, December 1, 2019

"This Dreamer"


I've always been a dreamer.



Since I was a little girl, I have had dreams of doing things and going places. I have also loved night dreams. So, when I speak of dreams I mean both the day dreams that I imagine up in my head and the real dreams I dream while asleep on my old, bumpy pillow.

I have dreams of marriage and mommy-hood. I've had those the longest I think. I would so love to be married, raise a family, adventure together, teach little children about God, have fun with my own teenagers, and watch my own children become mothers and fathers.

I have dreams of moving to another country to live and serve and spread the Gospel. But, if not live, to at least visit places like Romania, Guyana, Kenya, Ethiopia, Senegal, Holland, the Philippines, and so on. I want to hike all over the Blue Ridge Mountains and see all the waterfalls in North Carolina. I want to explore big, dark woods and find lost treasures.

I also have a dream of owning my own house. Maybe that will happen when I get married, but if I don't get married, I'll have to get my own house some day or the other. There is something wonderful about having a house of your own. You can make the rules, invite the people, decorate as you wish, make it your own.

These are just a few of my dreams. Most of them haven't come true. I have traveled a good deal and been on missions trips to Haiti, so I guess that one is in partial fulfillment.

However, night dreams have always meant a lot to me as well. I don't know why. I guess because a few of them have actually come true or had some significant application to my real life. Some of them, though, are still strangely in the back of my memory waiting to be figured out.

I know I may sound strange or even psycho, but I'm actually not that bad.

Did you know that dreams played a significant part in many Bible characters? I can think of Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Pharaoh, Nebuchadnezzar, and even Peter to an extent. I am sure there are many others who I am forgetting about. Joseph stuck out to me recently, maybe because I recently finished reading through Genesis. I was thinking about how I put so much significance into dreams and how it seemed so foolish. Then I thought, "Hey! Joseph was a dreamer, too, and it actually got him somewhere."

I guess I've decided that dreaming is not so bad, if I commit those dreams to God, both the strange night dreams that seem to have real life application and the day dreams that I wish for.

Many of these dreams, most of them probably, will never come true, and that's OK. But I like to see the things that happen in my life and then look back to realize that is what I had always longed for.

So, when you see me, you can just think, "Here comes this dreamer."* Just remember Joseph: not all who dream are crazy.

Can you spot the wild dreamer running through the field?





*Genesis 37:19

No comments:

Post a Comment