Friday, April 7, 2023

I Just Wanted Ice Cream

Many years ago when I was as single as they come, still a teenager in high school, I got a gift card for Kohls. I bought two little bowls: a red one for me, and a blue one for my furture husband. I used the red one, but I really didn't want anyone to use the blue one, so it sat there for years (occasionally being used by Priscilla: the horrors!). Finally, along came a dashing young man who said he was going into the Navy. I still wanted to marry him. He eventually decided he wanted to marry me instead, so after many trials and much pushback, we kissed in a church sanctuary and said "I do." And finally there was a user for the little bowl blue. (See how I rhymed there?) The two bowls would live happily ever after...

Until...tragedy struck. 


I just wanted ice cream! I guess the ice cream was hard, and as I tried to get it out, the container slid across the counter, knocking the unsuspecting little red bowl to the ground and smashing it to pieces. I stood there and stared in dismay. I was like a little kid who spilled his milk and doesn't know what to do. I was in shock. I finally gathered my wits about me and began to clean up the mess. There was no hope this time. The poor bowl had been through some abuse already in it's life, but this time it was a goner. The tears flowed down my cheeks as I picked up the pieces. JK. I don't think I cried, but then again, maybe I did. Stupidly enough, I really did feel some sadness. The blue bowl had waited so long to be used along with the red one, and now the red one was dead. 



Poor little bowl blue
What will you do?
I may be gone, 
But I still love you. 





2 comments: