Friday, February 15, 2019

Icicles, Snow Piles, and Sunshine

I remember when my sister Hannah first came up here, and she wrote to me in the winter about the huge icicles that would hang off the roofs. I never saw any very big ones last year, or maybe that was due in part to the fact that I was in the basement. Either way, I have definitely seen a lot this year. It is quite fascinating how they grow and grow. Some of them are probably closely to 4 feet in length.

_Side note: Christina just started played "Autumn Glow." Ah...let me just sit here and listen to the melodious tune.

......

OK, sorry about that. It is just one of the most mesmerizing songs I've ever heard.

Anywayyyy....Yes, so there are long icicles, and there has also been a monstrocity of snow this year. I'm not a fan. Oh, well, what did I expect? I've been telling my southern friends about the conditions up here. Some of them wish they had this, and I try to explain to them that they probably don't know what they are talking about.

Also, the sun has shown his face brightly lately. Let me tell you about yesterday.

The sun was shining so gloriously in the morning, and I decided to walk to Cardigan where Priscilla works. It was warm, I think Ellie said it was 19 degrees, and it felt like spring. I had a lovely walk, and it was so refreshing to be out and about. I arrived at Cardigan and started studying. Justus came over with Priscilla after a bit and they sat down. We chatted a bit. Justus is on jury duty so he wasn't in class, but he was on lunch break. He ate his My Burger hamburger, and Priscilla gave me some cold pizza and Earl Gray tea. Justus and I sat and studied while Priscilla went back to work. After a while, Justus left, and before too long, Priscilla finished work and we left together. As we left her shop, we were able to look up through the glass ceiling in the sky way and see the snow swirling about viciously. Wow! It kind of surprised both of us because it had been so beautiful.

Anyway, it still ended up being a nice time with her, but it was so strange too. And then later, the sun came out again and it was beautiful again!

So, yes, I think the weather as emotions too.
Just kidding, but it can be humorous.

Icicles hanging outside my window. 

Dripping with ice. 

This isn't the best picture, but these are the really long icicles I was talking about. 

The power line is caught in the snare of ice. 

Like a line of prisms set up to shimmer and shine. 

The ever-growing snow pile outside my house. 

I like how the wind blows the snow in patterns.

Blue sky, a rare treasure as of late. 

The sun reflects off this building...

and lightens up my room even though the sun is on the opposite side of the house. 

Ice in the last glimmers of the evening. 

The passageway between the snow piles on either side of the driveway. 

Another view of the snow pile. You can see how it is much taller than Josie's car, and it has blocked the back driveway completely


No comments:

Post a Comment