Thursday, January 24, 2019

Being Back


I meant to post this the other day, but I accidentally posted it on my other blog. Oh, well, here it is. 



Being back in Minneapolis has been a rush of events and people and many good things. But it hasn't been exempt from the not so pleasant times. Yesterday afternoon I thought I would never get through Plato's Phaedo. And, yes, there were a couple times during that very long, boring, repetitious reading that I felt like crying. But, I'm alive, I finished, and I don't think I went crazy. Thankfully, I was sort of rewarded with a visit to one of our professors' home to hang out and watch "Selma." It is a movie about Martin Luther King Jr. since yesterday was the holiday celebrating his legacy. It was a moving  and sad but also amazing portrait if the civil rights movement. I would recommend it to older folks. There is a lot of swearing and some brutal stuff so probably not appropriate for kids.

Anyway, I didn't really plan on reviewing "Selma" but I did. Honestly, though, one of my favorite parts about last night was hanging out in the kitchen before the movie started and getting to know class mates and professors better. I think the home is a great place to get to know people. There was a lot of joking and fun teasing of people that made us all laugh a lot.

It was refreshing.

So, with any time or place in life, we get the rough times and the refreshing times. God is with us no matter what, so I am very thankful for that.

 From them will come songs of thanksgiving and the sound of rejoicing. I will add to their numbers, and they will not be decreased; I will bring them honor, and they will not be disdained.
Jeremiah 30:19




2 comments: