Tuesday, February 18, 2020

A Dream House and a New Job

I started my job today at a donut shop in town. It's where Priscilla has worked for almost 3 years. It's a nice place full of sugar and business people.

Anyway, that was the lesser point of this post. I'm actually more interested in telling you about a certain house in NC. It's kind of funny how I came upon it. I was writing a story about a family who lived in town, and I needed a house to fit them well. I drove around town looking for the right neighborhood, the right style, the perfect yard, etc. I finally came across on older house on New St. Pretty much right off, I knew it was the one. It was deserted, but that didn't deter me. In some ways, it seemed good that it was deserted.

This house was built around 1925 in the bungalow type style. However, unlike most bungalow houses, it doesn't have those signature porch pillars. So, maybe it doesn't quite qualify as a bungalow, but it's close enough. It's got the old asbestos siding, old cement block steps, half second story, chimneys, etc.. The ceiling of the porch is cool, but the best part of the whole house is actually the yard. It's got a great back yard with trees and grass. I like it. I've dreamed of making it my own some day, but who knows if it would even pass inspection?

I see a lot of potential with the old farm house, and I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with it.

I'm guessing that the big window is probably the living room, while the small one might be a bed room. The side walk is pretty beat up, and the daffodils have kind of spread throughout the yard. I just wonder what's upstairs, and it's got two fire places. There's a lot of potential to make the yard look better. 

There's the ceiling. It needs a good scrub and a new coat of paint. It's funny how the porch is concrete, too. All the concrete on this house makes me less attracted to it, but it could be brightened up.

This is looking across the street from the porch. 

A close up of the front door. Everything is boarded up or has curtains, so I haven't really had a good look inside. 

I just realized that it must have three fire places because there's one in the back that I missed. That's pretty cool. I'm supposing that's the kitchen back there. 


That's that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment