Monday, January 6, 2020

Don't Forget

Benji, Jessica, Carson, and Jesse

I just posted this picture on Instagram with the following caption:

Some places never get old, and I would say Caraway is one of them. Some people will always be my friends, and these people are some of them. Yesterday I was reminded again how much I appreciate Camp Caraway and all that I have gained through my experience there. Although this picture is from about a year and a half ago, these friends and this place remain very special to me. Even though we don't always see each other or many others I have met there, I always love seeing you when I can. I could say a lot more, but maybe I'll save that for some future blog post (that will probably never happen or at least never be posted...). Anyway, let it suffice to say, don't forget people who have made an impact on your life. In all your travels and adventures, remember people because they are the most important.


Well, I decided that I did want to say more, so here we go.

After I had the privilege to see some old friends at Camp Caraway, both counselor side and kitchen side, I was reminded again how much I love that place and those people. It got me to thinking about people in general. I have met so many people, and many of these people have become my friends. From Caraway, to college, a bunch of churches, homeschooling, and work, I have made a number of friends.

I think one of the reasons Caraway is so special to me is that I made some of my first friends there, friends of my own. People I had to reach out and form relationships with on my own. You see, for most of my life up until that point, I had friends because my parents were friends with the family, and that was great. The thing is, many of those people are still my friends. However, friendships become different when they are your own, and that's what it was like for me at Caraway.

I don't think I will ever forget my first two summer there as a counselor. They were full of wonderful times, hard situations, pushing me to know people, getting me out of my comfort zone, new people and experiences, and amazing friends. I don't want to forget these people.

I've moved a lot back and forth, and I've made new friends. It could be easy for me to forget people once I move away from them, and I have all but completely forgotten many of them. However, people have made such an impact on my life. I want to remember them. I may not always be near them or be able to keep up with them on a regular basis, but I hope that whenever I do get the chance to see them again that we will go right back to being friends.

And, to you, remember that people are important. Don't give up and say that no one cares about you. Don't leave and forget. Remember people, remember your friends, and make new friends.

To be continued....


No comments:

Post a Comment