Tuesday, January 21, 2020

A Slow Farewell to Instagram

My Instagram page after I deleted most of my pictures. 


I have for a while considered getting off Instagram. I first created myself an account my first semester of college. I thought it would be a fun way to keep up with friends from back home. I never posted because I didn't have the app on my computer, but I finally got the app almost a year later and started posting.

I enjoyed being able to keep up on some sort of level with people I am not with. I enjoy the pictures and things they write. However, it wasn't too long before I started seeing the website as a distraction for me. I search people and look up things. I spend sometimes over an hour at a time scrolling through pictures of people's lives.

Sometimes I have taken a break for a month or week from Instagram, but over the past year probably, I have thought about deleting it all together. But then I don't because I enjoy it too much. How will I know what's up with my friend's if I don't see them on Instagram?

Well, to the close of last year and as the new year unfolds, I have had a deeper desire to have real friendships and relationships with people. I often feel like the Instagram life is making me unreal, or at least the world around me feels less real. I love writing letters as I have for years, and in the last month or so I have decided that I prefer that method of communication over pictures of people showing off their lives.

And I'm one of those people.

I feel like our lives are less private than they used to be. The older I get, the more I love the old-fashioned. I want to be a part of real life and not live the rest of my life trying to show off to people who I am.

Not everyone uses Instagram that way, and I never intended to be a show off or act like my life is perfect. In fact, I have tried to give God glory and point others to Him besides just showing day to day life. Nothing fancy. There is seriously nothing glamorous about my life on Instagram.

However, I do find that I think too much about what others are thinking about me, and I want a break. Maybe some years later I'll be able to come back to it and be able to handle it better, but it's time to leave.

This blog will remain. I love it, and I think I use it more for how I want it to be used. I don't think I have many followers, but I really don't care. It's kind of just my little writing nook, and I like it that way.

That's it! Have a good one.

Me with a bunch of sweet people, real people, in my life about 2 1/2 years ago. 

2 comments: