Sunday, March 3, 2019

Two Years Ago: A Journey to BCS

Two years ago today I got up early where I was sleeping at my sister's house. We walked to a big church in what I thought was bitter cold, 19 degrees I think. We arrived earlier than we needed to, but that was her custom.

We went to the third floor and sat on some old brownish orange leather chairs and "studied." A girl with curly hair and a guy with short brown hair laughed and chatted among themselves. Another guy came in, a tall fellow with nice clothes and a fedora I think. Hannah introduced me to him. His name was Tyler. I had heard about this guy. Unfortunately, he was pretty sick. He introduced me to the girl and guy who had been laughing together; they were Jacob and Maria. Later Tyler went home because he was so sick.

It was strange. A school in a church. I had been to this place many times before, but it was different being there during school time, instead of church. And there were so many people to meet.

I went to the freshmen class in room 318 at 8:30 am. The class was about the Kingdom of God, and the teacher was a seminary student named Scott Hubbard. So many people. I don't recollect who I sat with. I remember a Josiah I think, but I don't remember ever meeting him again, so maybe that's a dream. Anyway, it was a long class.

Throughout the day, I met Elisabeth who I found out spelled her name like I do. I also met Christina, Patience, Ben, and others. I remember a guy named Greg who begged for money to get something from the vending machine, and I remember my shock when Priscilla actually gave it to him. I also remember sitting in Priscilla's sophomore cohort and thinking her professor was a very laid back, nice kind of guy.

It was a very interesting experience. I had a lot of thoughts and questions about whether this was the place for me.

Eventually I decided, yes.

The rest is history, as they say.

Things have changed. A lot has happened. I'm a freshman for the second time. Maria is gone, Jacob has longer hair now, Tyler and Hannah are married, Scott Hubbard is also married and graduated, Elisabeth is a very special friend, Christina is my "sister' (according to Dr. Beckman), I have been to Patience's house for Easter, I do dishes with Ben, and as for Greg, I wonder how big a debt he owes Priscilla and the rest of his classmates. What became of the mysterious Josiah, I will probably never know because the likelihood of him actually existing is even slim. To top it off, I am now in that same professor's cohort, getting the full load of his jokes and fun character. 

That is my story.

In two years, a person can change a lot, grow a lot, mature and age a lot.

I know God has done a work in my heart and life. I have an abundance of friends and memories and growing pains. It is life, the life that God has given me.

As far as I know, this was the first time I stepped into room 318. 

Almost a year later, and those weird brown chairs were still there.
Unfortunately, they are now gone. 

Bethany, Hannah, me, Lydia, Priscilla, and Mom when I first went to school. 

The end of freshman year one with my room mate Alaina. 


Me now, an intense second round freshman. I'm actually not really an intense person most of the time. At least, I don't think so. 😏











3 comments:

  1. That's so sad that the brown chairs are gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, seriously. Now they have some boring chairs that aren't even as comfortable.

      Delete
    2. It's all about the new and modern (and less sturdy)

      Delete