Saturday, March 4, 2023

Homemade Chai (With the Recipe)

Chai tea from a bag can actually be pretty good. I'm not too snobbish to drink Aldi brand chai; infact, I think I like it better than Bigelow. However, several years ago, our friends starting making chai for us when we went to their house or they came to ours. They had learned how to make it from their Indian friends (so it must be authentic). Eventually, while I was in college, I asked for the recipe after watching them make it many times. I have been making it ever since, and I love it. It's sort of relaxing to make. Sure, it takes longer than a bag (which is why I don't make it every time I have chai), but that seems to be part of what makes it so good. It's rewarding. 

Right after the milk is poured in. 

A steamy hot cup of beautiful chai. 

The recipe. Haha! I don't need it anymore because I've made it so many times, but from the mess, you can see I did use it a few times. Now days I don't exactly measure things perfectly. I tend to use more than it calls for with the spices because I like it strong (or my taste buds have been messed up from always using too much spice). I also add star anise and cinnamon, and I use more sugar. Haha! Oh, one more thing: my friend one time told me she likes to add a bit of ground pepper, so I started doing that when I remember. 

I kind of like messy old recipes. 


Have some good tea!


V


No comments:

Post a Comment