Thursday, April 12, 2018

Kitchen Quartet

When I first started helping in the kitchen for lunch after chapel, my main reason was to get free food.
Who wouldn't? Free food is good.

It didn't take me long to realize there was a much better reason than that. Honestly, it's a lot of fun. I've been able to get to know people I might not have otherwise. We talk, laugh, work, and just hangout, even when the work is done. I actually look forward to chapel lunch for the sole reason of cleaning, drying, and putting away dishes and of course, the people that go along with that.
C'mon! Working with people is fun!

It's all fun, but probably my favorite part of the work is the singing.
It kind of looks like she's singing, doesn't it?


Somewhere along the way, we are apt to sing a hymn or two or three, depending on the time everyone has. Sometimes we sing while working, but sometimes we don't get to it until we are done. The reason is usually because the men are too engrossed in their deep (or not so deep) discussions. Sometimes they forget we need to sing. Sometimes (most of the time?) I have to state the obvious fact that "we haven't sung yet." Sometimes they seem a little tired, but I tend to make them sing anyway.
Of course, probably a deep discussion about cooking hot-dogs over a grill is going on in this picture.

And let me tell you, these guys know how to sing. So does my dish-drying buddy, but she often leaves immediately after we are done. However, my singing is, well, not so good.

Anyway, someone picks a song, usually a hymn, and begins singing.

It is beautiful.
Like flowers


Sometimes I think that is my favorite worship service. Four people singing their hearts out in the middle of the kitchen. It's true, we sing with vigor and heart. It is a special, sweet time.
Sweeter than crumb cake.


When we're done, we might stand there for a second and silently ponder the moment. We think on the words that have encouraged our often weary souls.
Deeply pondering whether he should jump or not.


The Kitchen Quartet may have a terrible female voice in there, but she sure loves to sing.

That's part of the reason the kitchen has become a special, sacred place.
Definitely a spread of violets is a sacred place. 


Well. I realize what was supposed to be a post more on the serious side has possibly been discouraged by these absurd captions. Sorry. And I know the pictures are random, but honestly, I don't care much for pictureless posts and I'm likely not going to read a post without pictures. 


2 comments:

  1. The joy of the Lord is my strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and often I find that singing does me a lot of good.

      Delete