Saturday, September 23, 2017

Waiting and Fighting



In April, 2014, I went to Haiti for the first time, and little did I know how it would change my life from then on. When I went the second time the following year, I began to think of the possibility of actually living in the country. However, the next year, I was not able to join the team in April. I still wanted to go back, but I didn't know if I would. Finally, earlier this year, I had strong inclinations to go back one last time. I was able to join the team and speak at the women's conference.

My first idea of this past trip was that it would probably be my last. I was super excited, but I was also going with a newer perspective: (1) that this would likely be my last time at least for a while, and (2) I wanted it to count for the Gospel of Christ. I wanted Haitians to be changed, and I wanted myself to be changed.

I ended up getting sick and being rather miserable for one day. Then I heard the "devastating" news that we would be spending two nights at a church in the country. This literally was terrifying news for me. I know, I grew up in the country and I love simplicity, but I was worried. I had just been sick, and I could imagine getting sick again. I thought of all the worst things that could happen. I imagined the unsanitation; I was not looking forward to this "adventure." But before I left that place, I was hooked.

The experience changed my life. I didn't want to say bye. I had made friends, I had lived with the people, had eaten with them, worshiped with them. I wanted to teach the children of the church and surrounding area about God and how they could live for Him instead of the pleasures of this world.

I had a hard time transitioning back into American life. Harder than usual. This brings me to my point in this post. I still haven't transitioned, not completely.

It's been over 5 months since I went to Haiti, and I still miss it, still wish I was there just about every day. I do believe God has called me there. I have rarely felt such a longing for something like this. I really want to go back, but I'm not back. I'm here, in the states, in Minnesota. I'm a college student, and I'm waiting.

I'm waiting, hopefully patiently, but I'm afraid often not. I know God's plans are better than mine. His timing is perfect, truly. In the end, if and when I do go back to Haiti, the waiting will have made it so much more of a gem. I will also have had more experiences and growth. So I have to fight.

I have to fight my self. My impatience, pride, desires, and wishes ; I must fight back by the strength of my Saviour. He has put me here, now, for His purposes, not mine.

So I wait, but I fight.

Yet there's joy!

2 comments:

  1. "it is never a waste of time to wait on the lord". :) Sometimes the Lord chooses to have us wait for those heart-desires so that we can learn to more patiently and quietly wait on and hope in Him alone. Through waiting He diligently and gently prunes us, causing the fruit of the Spirit to be produced in us(Galatians 5:22-23)! Keep on waiting on the Lord and setting your expectation in Him along(Psalm 62:5). I'll be praying He gives you the strength to patiently wait on Him!

    "For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee." Ps 84:11-12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. I was so blessed by the sermon in church today. The pastor preached from Mark 5:21-43. He remarked how Jairus must have felt impatient or worried when Jesus stopped to talk to the woman who had been healed. During that time, Jairus' daughter dies; imagine his disappointment. But then Jesus raised her to life. It reminded me that sometimes we want something to happen right now, but Jesus has the perfect timing and the perfect plan.
      By the way, I love the verses you wrote at the end of your comment. That whole Psalm is one of my favorites.

      Delete