Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Sockey

I was looking back on a post from years ago in which I alluded to a game we used to play a lot called sockey. I said I would have to do a post about it. Well, it seems I forgot, and so I decided it would be fun to tell you about this fun and dangerous game. 

We came up with this game one time when we were bored and had a fun ball we were playing with (that ball ended up proving to be too weak for this violent sport). It's a mix between soccer (the ball and goals) and hockey (the use of a sticdk to get the ball where you want it), hence the name, sockey (which, at the time, I did not know was the name of an alcohol). The difference between either of the namesake games is that sockey is played on a man-to-man level instead of team-to-team. That means everyone has their own goal that they try to keep the ball from going into. Once the ball goes through your goal 3 times, you're out. So, the last person alive wins. 

The game soon became popular with the neighbors. It gets violent because it can be chaotic with all the people running around and wacking their sticks at the ball. I certainly had my share of wacked fingers and legs. We later played the game with another family full of younger kids. I think their mom finally outlawed it because of all the injuries. Haha! I don't blame her, but it sure was a fun time. 

Well, that's sockey for you. Ready for a game? I honestly wouldn't mind playing myself. Maybe I can get Jacob's classmates to play. Haha! The school might outlaw it. 


Here's a simple diagram and instructions on how to play. 

We introduce Jacob to Sockey.

The first time Jacob visited us in NC, we played an exciting game of sockey. Dad took pictures of us. 



Fun times, good memories. 

Adios!




No comments:

Post a Comment