Wednesday, October 5, 2016

A Matter of the Heart

A lot of people call themselves Christians, (or Muslims, Hindus, atheists, Buddhists, or others for that matter), yet they do not really believe what they say they believe. I can tell you I am Christian yet not have a love for the Bible and God Himself. I can go to church yet not pray or live for Jesus. I can go on mission trips yet do it just for a cultural experience. I can say one thing yet be another.

This morning in my Bible time, I came across a verse I had underlined. It is one of my favorites.

"But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God."
Romans 2:29 (added emphasis)

This verse speaks of a heart issue. In the early days of Christianity, many of the believing Jews thought it was necessary for believing Gentiles to be circumcised, but here, Paul clearly points out that it is a heart change. Salvation is love for God, not the praises of men. Truly saved people do not hope for people to look at us and point out our good deeds, but rather to see what we do and look to Jesus themselves. 

Salvation has to be in the heart, not just the head. 


2 comments:

  1. This is so true! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom. I wrote it partly just to remind myself.

      Delete