Saturday, August 20, 2016

Now what?

     I am done with high school... so now what? I thought I would be so glad, so relieved, to be done with school. I am! However, now that I am done I feel a lot of pressure to do something. But what? Yes, get a job (I may begin working at a nearby cafe), do volunteer work (I may help at a nearby Pregnancy Care Center), and continue to pursue God. But no matter how much my loving mom (or sisters, brothers, Dad, or friends for that matter) gives me great advice (which I am thankful for), I still sometimes feel lost. I want to know what's going to happen.

     You know what? I don't need to know what's going to happen. I am not in control, God is. When I seriously think about it, I don't want to be in control. I'm just one girl who isn't all that smart living among millions of other people who are lot smarter. God, on the other hand, "created the heavens, and stretched them out" (Isaiah 42:5), He made all things, He is "Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending" (Revelation 1:8). Why would I ever want to be in control? I am learning that it is better for me to be totally out of control and let God be totally in control (or remember that He already is).

     A few quotes I have come across lately have been encouraging to me in this respect. I hope they encourage you as well.

"For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee" (Isaiah 41:13). He will help me, I needn't fear or worry.

"Whatever did not agitate the Saviour or ruffle His spirit, was not to agitate him [Hudson Taylor]." This was the comment an Episcopalian minister in Australia made after observing Taylor. This is the way I want to be; if Jesus is not worried about the political mess we are in (which He isn't), if He is not worried about the terrorist attacks so prevalent (which He isn't), if He is not worried about my future (which He isn't), than neither should I.

"Seeing that a Pilot steers the ship in which we sail, who will never allow us to perish even in the midst of shipwrecks, there is no reason why our minds should be overwhelmed with fear and overcome with weariness." ~John Calvin


Go in peace and be refreshed by our great Saviour's goodness.

Elisabeth

2 comments:

  1. That is a great encouragement to anyone. I love the reminder that God is not worried so neither should I be. But, what should you do next? Do the next thing. That is the advice Elisabeth Elliot would give when you feel at a loss and maybe overwhelmed by all the things that need to be done and not knowing what to do. Thinking on this helps me to bring things back into perspective, one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. So what is the next thing you need to do? Maybe it is something very small and simple like help your sister with school, or write a letter of encouragement to an elderly woman who is home bound. Trust the Lord to take you one step at a time. He does have it all planned out. I am praying for you and I know Your Savior will lead you!

    ReplyDelete