Thursday, June 24, 2021

House of Dreams


A slightly edited, horrible phone picture.


A lot of Easters ago, our family went on our signature Easter truck ride and ended up at this little old farm house. To me, it was something of a dream house. The surrounding farm land was superbly beautiful, and it was so peaceful and alone. I wanted it as my own. 

One of my dreams as a child/teenager was to have a nice farm, grow a big family, and never leave. Of course, I had wanted to be a missionary for a long time, too, but there were moments when that farm dream seemed so lovely. 

Sittin' out on that porch on that springy afternoon, I was thinking about owning a farm some day. We continued on our adventures, but that farm house stayed in my heart. I looked for it for years (I forgot what road it was on).

Just recently, I ended up driving down that old, curvy road, and there was the house. Still nestled among glorious old oaks, the little place was for sale. I thought about how wonderful it would be to live there, raise a kit and caboodle of kids, have some cows, settle down till the day I died in my rocking chair. But, I know that is just a dream. I suppose some dreams will never come true.

So, after snapping a poor-quality phone picture for old-time's sake, I drove away. Away from an old farm house on a hill, away from an old dream that will probably never completely leave me.


The original. Nostalgia. 



No comments:

Post a Comment