Thursday, May 7, 2020

Manalive



Last summer I read a book called Manalive by G. K. Chesterton. One of my pastors lent it to me. My problem was that I liked it a lot but couldn't underline or write in it because I didn't own the book. So, for Christmas I asked for a copy of my own. I was very blessed to receive the book as a late Christmas gift.

Since coming back to Minnesota, I have read the book again. This time, of course, I have done plenty of underlining and note-taking. It was fun to read it again, knowing the outcome, but also being more aware of things I hadn't noticed or fully understood before.

The story is about the arrival of a certain Smith to a boarding house in London. He seemed like a crazy person in many ways, but the story is basically about figuring the man out. It is full of an appreciation for life itself and the joys we can experience.

I have decided to list some of my favorite quotes here, maybe so you'll get interested and read the book as well. 😉


“Pedalling the machine so fast that I turn into a machine myself.
That’s the matter with all of us. We’re too busy to wake up” (Inglewood, p. 28).


Mary, though she was always graceful, could never have properly been called beautiful;
and yet her happiness amid all that misery was so beautiful as to make a man catch his breath.
(p. 42)


“Often and often the thing a whole nation can’t settle is just the thing a family could settle”
(Moon, p. 48).


“I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the Modern Man. But I shall not use it to kill him. Only to bring him to life” (Smith, p. 74).


“Marriage is a duel to the death which no man of honour should decline” (Moon, p. 112).

He has broken the conventions, but he has kept the commandments
(Moon, p. 122).



Well, that is that. I hope you enjoyed those quotes. What is a book that has stood out to you lately?Any good quotes?




No comments:

Post a Comment